How Do You Make a Hamburger Steak
The Hamburger Steak is an American Favorite and Classic
Ground beef takes many forms in the panoply of American cooking. It’s featured in dishes such as American chop suey, meatloaf and sloppy Joes. It is the staple of all hamburgers, and it is the primary ingredient in hamburger steak. So, how do you make a hamburger steak? Do you just take some ground beef and whip it into a monstrous patty? Well, no, that’s not quite the way to do it. Here’s a basic hamburger steak recipe that you can simply use or with which you may experiment.
This hamburger steak is going to be served with mushroom and onion gravy. It makes for a hearty meal that’s complimented nicely with sides such as country mashed potatoes and stir-fried broccoli and Portobello mushrooms.
American Hamburger Steak Caressed by Mushroom and Onion Gravy
1 pound ground beef
3 green onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
3/4 cup finely chopped white mushrooms
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon cooking sherry
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, green onions, breadcrumbs, pepper, salt, garlic powder, parsley, basil and Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly using both hands and all ten fingers. Form into 8 patties of equal size.
- Once the patties are formed, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. At this time, you should also set the oven to warm. Fry the patties and thinly sliced onion and finely chopped mushrooms in the oil. Once the patties are thoroughly browned, which will take four to five minutes, remove them from the pan, place them on a heated plate and put them in the warm oven. It’s now time to make the gravy.
- Reduce the heat on the burner to medium and then carefully sprinkle flour over the onions, mushrooms and drippings. Stir in flour with a wooden spoon, scraping up any bits of beef, onions or mushrooms off the bottom of the skillet.
- Once the mixture is even, gradually stir in the beef broth and sherry. Add in the seasoned salt. Simmer and stir over medium-low heat until the gravy thickens. This will take five to seven minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, remove the patties from the oven and place them in the gravy. Then cover and simmer for 15-20 more minutes.
- After the hamburger steaks are done, allow them to sit in the pan with the heat off for about five minutes.
- Serve steaks with appropriate sides.
This classic dish is sure to please family and friends. Some variations include adding four strips of cooked, smoked bacon to the gravy once the hamburger steaks have been removed from the pan. To create a tomato zest in this gravy recipe, add in eight ounces of diced tomatoes with their own liquid and a 1/4 cup of beef broth. If doing this, leave out the cup of beef broth called for in the original recipe.
That’s the answer to the question, “How do you make a hamburger steak?” This classic American Hamburger Steak with Mushroom and Onion Gravy is a true crowd pleaser.