The family is the main center where the cultural education of the individual and adaptation to living conditions takes place, where the most stable and socially significant elements of cultural upbringing are formed. Observing parents and people different every day, communicating with them, the raising children gain experience of decision making and coexistence in society. At the same time, children can learn both positive and negative norms of culture and behavior.
The family culture and upbringing, as well as the experience of attending culture events, form and determine the first contours of the image of the world and the appropriate way of life. The below information can help you learn the influence of parents on the behavior of their kids.
What Is Cultural Upbringing?
According to experts, cultural upbringing – is a targeted and regular influence that adults have on a child. This is done in order to cultivate a sense of high human dignity, which determines human behavior in different conditions: in kindergarten, at home, on the street, etc.
The main task that is realized through upbringing is to prepare the child for life under the existing socio conditions. Diverse upbringing activities are inextricably linked with other areas of human activity and play an active role in the formation of social values, attitudes, and norms of behavior. Environments determine the basic types of personalities that will be found in a society.
Culture Influence on Child Development
Scientists highlight three main areas in which cultural developments and interactions affect the child. Find their description in the sections below.
How Cultural Upbringing Affects Personality
A person’s upbringing plays a huge role in the development of a personality. This is expressed in the following:
- Socio-cultural education contributes to the socialization of the child, i.e., involvement in society in the role of a full member;
- Children’s cultural upbringing affects the development of self-recognition;
- Upbringing affects the moral development of the individual, aimed at mastering the moral and ethical norms adopted in society and the development of own moral and ethical norms in accordance with social values;
- Cultural upbringing involves freedom of creativity and a variety of forms of artistic expression;
- Children`s cultural upbringing involves spiritual development. Aesthetic culture harmonizes, calms a person, and brings the spiritual world into balance;
- Upbringing impacts one’s own parenting styles, etc.
How Does Culture Influence Behavior
Upbringing has a direct influence on human behavior. It creates an environment in which creativity, rest, celebration, etc., are harmoniously integrated, and self-realization of the individual takes place. This contributes to the free creative assimilation of cultural background, values, personal development, and, consequently – the development of society in general.
How Does Culture Affect Learning: Is It Becoming More Efficient?
American Psychological Association states at the present stage of development of psychological and pedagogical science and practice; there is an increase in the interest of scientists and practitioners in the possibilities of influencing the cultural environment in the learning process. In their experimental research, researchers rely on such possibilities of the cultural environment as:
- Ability to integrate;
- Development of the desire for self-improvement;
- Possibilities of art pedagogy in applying the complex interaction of all its components, aimed at achieving harmonization of students’ personalities.
It has been established that culture and education are closely related and interact. This interaction can be considered in different ways:
- At the level of society, in a historical context;
- At the level of specific social institutions, spheres, or environments of adolescent development;
- At the level of academic disciplines.
The goals of upbringing and education are to form spiritual and moral values, feelings of patriotism, humanity, and tolerance. A person masters cultural differences, values, and declaration human rights in the process of learning. The learning content, in turn, is continuously replenished from the cultural variation heritage of various countries and peoples. Culture and learning act as the leading factors of social progress and the development of civilization. Their separation can cause irreversible consequences for the children raised.
How Do Parents Influence Their Child’s Behavior: Useful Tips on Children`s Cultural Upbringing
As noted above, upbringing in the family has a significant cultural impact on the children`s behavior. Parental influence, as a rule, is a set of regular measures aimed at mastering the system of knowledge and norms of values, which allows the cultured kid to become a person capable of functioning in modern society. To make cultural influences as useful and effective as possible, it is recommended to adhere to the following tips:
- Successful parenting around the world indicates that learning about family culture should take place from an early age, even before teaching your child to read and write. To make it more interesting for your child to learn and understand cultural human rights, you can use the early childhood activities. Then the perception of cultural diversity will be faster and easier;
- Family customs examples – the basis of children’s identity. By watching their family life, children gain social awareness and competence. Therefore, parents should always show positive family culture examples, whether it is celebrating traditions, going to the cinema, reading a book, behaving on public transport, communicating with friends, etc. Personal culture examples provide proper child care and allow children and young people to learn the skills of proper behavior on the street, in public transport, in school, and in nature;
- When talking about cultural upbringing with a child, parents should explain that culture must be in the soul. Respected toddlers people need to understand that cultured people should be polite not only to strangers but also to family members. From childhood, young people get their knowledge from TV. This influences children in various behavioral manifestations. So, the child must distinguish between what is good and what is bad, what can be done and what cannot;
- Parenting styles in different nations may vary slightly. This is due to the various traditions of different world cultures. However, the general aspects of upbringing remain unchanged and involve the development of moral values, creative skills, skills of self-regulation, self-recognition, socialization, etc. Therefore, it is worth paying the greatest attention to this;
- The love of beauty will help children in their aesthetic development. In addition, it is a component of cultural upbringing. Therefore, parents should raise children and instill a love for all that is wonderful in our world.
Why Is It Important to Learn About Culture
Thus, it is very important to learn about a different culture today because each individual’s ethical standards are a product of his or her culture and upbringing. Culture can change the individual greatly. It is focused on people, on the disclosure of the inherent spiritual and creative potential. Friendly, warm relationships between family members are an important factor in promoting a proper cultural upbringing. They are created on the basis of common beliefs, interests and experiences, mutual love and respect, and participation of all in creating comfortable living conditions.