Create a Trendy, Streamlined Look in Your Kitchen
Homeowners have various choices when it comes to the style of their kitchen. The fact is there is no right or wrong style when it comes to the look of your cooking space. It’s really a matter of taste. Some popular general stylistic choices include antique, retro, traditional and contemporary and there are more specific periods from which you can choose such as French Colonial, American Traditional and Art Deco.
One style that homeowners often consider when they are remodeling a kitchen is contemporary. A contemporary look can really transform a 30- or 40-year-old kitchen, bringing it into the 21st century.
Defining Contemporary Style
Contemporary fixtures, design elements and cabinets have a streamlined look that feature sharp but smooth curves. Cabinet and drawers are devoid of recesses and raised areas. They are flat, smooth and often show a glossy finish. Hardware tends to be absent or recessed within the façade and colors are often but not always one tone such as black, white, beige and stainless steel.
A contemporary look is about as seamless as can be. It defines your kitchen as being overall utilitarian, accessible and efficient. The contemporary style evokes a uniform, minimalistic and symmetrical feel.
Factors to Consider
If you’re thinking of transforming your kitchen by installing contemporary kitchen cabinets, there are various factors about which you should think. When you change the cabinets in your kitchen, you are creating a bold, new visual statement. The visual statement you make involves you’re having to reconsider other aspects of your kitchen.
Here are a few considerations that will work to influence your choice of cabinets.
- Think about functionality first; ensuring your cabinets will meet your cooking and baking needs.
- Because contemporary cabinets are designed with uniformity in mind, you may create an interesting look by combining different sized cabinets.
- If your kitchen is dark, you may want to go with brightly colored surfaces.
- Brighter kitchens can benefit from darker colors.
- Slim, recessed hardware can create interesting accents.
Appliances and Fixtures
If you decide to change the style of your cabinets, you’ll also need to look at new appliances and fixtures. Otherwise, you’ll have a kitchen that shows various styles and looks completely out of place.
- All major appliances should match your cabinet style.
- Your sink and counters also need to match the look.
- If there’s an adjacent dining nook, bar area or dining space don’t forget that. It will need to be transformed too.
- You can contrast colors and textures on appliances and counter finishes to create visual interest and diversity.
- Also take into consideration wall coverings and kitchen decorations.
Concerns Regarding Contemporary Style
There are various apprehensions that people often express regarding contemporary style cabinetry. There are various ways to address these.
- Renovating a kitchen can be expensive and a contemporary look usually involves updating all aspects of your kitchen. As it is with the price of anything, the cost of contemporary cabinets varies depending upon materials and methods of construction.
- Some feel that contemporary style cabinets are boring. But they don’t have to be. Hardware can add flair and cabinet configuration can create a different look.
- Others find colors restrictive. And although the primary colors used in this style cabinet are black, white, beige and stainless steel, there are many other colors available.
- There are worries that everything will simply blend together. One way to offset this is to create interest by utilizing granite, quartz, lavastone or glass countertops.
Create a Whole New Kitchen
Contemporary kitchen cabinets can bring your cooking area up to date. They are elegant, polished and streamlined. They also utilize space efficiently and are designed with the busy lifestyle of homeowners in mind. Because they have no nooks or crannies, they are easy to wipe up and keep clean. The materials used are tough and resilient. If you’re looking for a style that is trendy, upscale and tasteful, then kitchen cabinets in a contemporary style are a good way to go.