Experts always say not to feed your dog human food because it teaches them to beg and will turn them off their kibble but there is more to it then your dog developing bad manners. Some foods we love and eat regularly will cause your dog to have digestive upsets, depress the nervous system, damage organs, and coma. Some will even kill him!
Below is a list of foods that your dog should not eat and why:
- Alcohol same in humans, it can cause intoxication and if enough is ingested, even coma and death
- Chocolate, coffee, tea and foods that contain caffeine caffeine contains theobromine or theophylline which is toxic to dogs, causing heart and nervous system damage and death
- Citrus Oil extracts vomiting‘
- Fat and fat trimmings too much fat in the diet will cause pancreatitis
- Garlic all forms, cooked, raw or powder, contain sulfoxides and disulfides that damage red blood cells and cause anemia
- Grapes and Raisins at this time it is not known what it is in grapes and raisins that causes acute renal failure and death
- Hops unknown toxin causing panting, tachycardia (increased heart rate), elevates body temperature, seizures and death
- Human multi-vitamins avoid unless veterinarian specifies brand/dose.
- Iron supplements or products enriched with iron damages lining of the digestive tract and is toxic to liver and kidneys
- Liver in large quantities, it causes vitamin A toxicity, affecting muscles and bones
- Macadamia Nuts adversely effects digestive and nervous systems
- Milk and Dairy Products most dogs and cats are lactose intolerant meaning they do not have enough lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) in their system
- Mushrooms various toxins that effect multiple systems or organs that can result in death
- Onions – all forms, cooked, raw or powder, contain sulfoxides and disulfides that damage red blood cells and cause anemia
- Seeds and pits from fruit can cause diarrhea or obstruct the digestive tract
- Raw Eggs can contain salmonella. Also block biotin absorption leading to skin and coat issues
- Raw Fish can lead to thiamine deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and death in serious cases.
- Salt not good for humans either as it leads to electrolyte imbalances
- Sugar watch dog biscuits and treats as often sugar is included to increase palatability. Sugar leads to weight gain, rotten teeth and diabetes same as in humans!
- Yeast and dough containing yeast expands in the stomach and intestines causing indigestion and gas in mild cases but if it expands enough, it could cut off blood supply to the stomach and even rupture the stomach or intestine
Things that dogs eat that are not what we would normally consider food:
- Antifreeze Ethylene glycol is sweet tasting and pets have been known to chew through the bottle to get to the yummy liquid. It causes crystals to form in the kidneys that lead to renal failure and death. Even a small amount can be lethal mop up any spills thoroughly and keep antifreeze containers away from areas that your pet has access
- Bones chicken, fish and sharp bones can puncture the digestive tract if swallowed and large quantities of beef bones can cause an upset stomach as well as impaction of the colon
- Watch baby food or other foods that may contain onion, garlic and is vitamin enriched
- Cat Food fat and protein levels are high
- Marijuana, drugs and medications depends on the drug or medication but contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog or cat ingests anything, including acetaminophen
- String cats are more prone to eating string, wool or fishing line but dogs have been known to ingest these items. Causes any number of problems with surgery often being the only form of treatment
- Tobacco nicotine causes digestive and nervous system upset, a racing heart beat, collapse, coma and even death
- Garbage or rotten food contains toxins and mold that cause vomiting and diarrhea as well as any number of other issues
Teach your dog not to beg or ‘counter surf‘, read ingredient labels and use common sense when feeding your dog anything other then their kibble you could save them from a stomach ache, or worse!