Guide to getting help with your wet room from the council

If you have a disability or live with someone or people with disabilities, you’d understand how using the bathroom facilities can be a chore. To make matters worse, for you to install a wet room or repurpose your bathroom to be disabled-accessible is not cheap. One solution to this menacing problem is getting help from your local council.

We will take you through the steps to getting help from your council house and how it can improve your living conditions. 

Getting started

Knowing the problem is usually half the solution; learning how to fix the problem is the other half. So, for example, if you have difficulty getting around your home or using the bathroom, the last thing you want to worry about is going to the council to make your case. 

A workaround is to call social services for a home assessment, or you could do it online. Below are a few tips on getting a council house wetroom.


Assessment means exactly as it sounds. For example, an occupational therapist would come around your home to ask you questions about your living conditions and -with you- would take a walk around your home. 

It would help if you told the therapist everything you find challenging about using your bathroom and other parts of your home. 

How can the council help?

The council can help, but how exactly depends on where you reside. For example, your local government authority would cover the charges for all significant adaptations the assessment showed you need if you live in a council property. On the other hand, you would have access to three financial aid sources if you are a private tenant or homeowner. 

They are:

Minor adaptations grant

This covers all relatively small costs. Your council should be able to cover charges for each adaptation less than £1,000.

The minor adaptations grant usually covers the installation of things like:

  • Security lights
  • Hand/Grab rails
  • Concrete steps or ramps

Check here for more information. 

Disabled facilities grant

Disabled facilities grants are major adaptations and changes to the building or your living premises. Your council can not cover these charges, hence the need to apply for this grant.

  • To be eligible, you must satisfy the following conditions.
  • You or someone on your property must be living with a disability
  • You must be a house owner or tenant with the intention of living in that premises for the next five years.

The amount you are eligible for is dependent on your household’s savings and income. The grant does not affect any other benefits, and your local council handles the application. 

Apply here at your local council today. 

Independence at home

Independence at Home is a charity founded in 1985 to help people living with disabilities and long term illnesses live independent, safe, dignifying and comfortable lives. They have in their 55 years eased many people of their financial burden, and they can do the same for you. 

The home improvements covered by these grants

How much of a bathroom makeover you need would determine which of the above-listed grants best suits your needs. The following are the different home improvement options available under each grant type.

Minor adaptations grant

  • Grab rails
  • Thermostatically controlled mixers
  • Adapted chairs and beds
  • Bath seats and shower stools
  • Raised toilet seats

Disabled Facilities Grant

  • Installation of wet rooms
  • Widening doors for easy access
  • Improving garden safety
  • External ramp installation
  • Improved lighting installations
  • Improved heating installations


And there you have it, all you need to know to get help installing your wet room from your council. If you can not take all or some of these steps yourself, endeavour to request assistance from someone that lives with you or lives close to you. 


Can I get a grant to install a wet room?

Yes. You can get grants from your local council house to install a wet room. 

Who is eligible for a disabled facilities grant?

A disabled facilities grant or DFG is means-tested for people above the age of 18. This means that how much you would be allowed depends on the disabled person’s savings or income. The council will consider the financial condition of their partner if they are married or cohabitating. 



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.