Love working with wood and creating new things? Or perhaps you have scrap wood lying in your home and have no idea what to do with it. Get creative and turn it into something that will improve your home.
Unlike plastic and metal, wood is duable, natural and easy to work with using simple tools from your house. It’s also cheap and easy to find. You can either buy new wood or use scraps, and there are many different kinds to fit the kind of look you want.
If you’re not an expert in woodwork, don’t worry. This guide will provide you with simple DIY steps to follow. Let’s look at two wood projects you can do at home.
- Wooden Welcome Signs
A welcome mat does a good job welcoming your guests, but it often gets dirty. If you want to give your guests a warm welcome, consider making a welcome sign from wood. First, take a piece of wood that is long enough to fit your desired greeting. Then, paint it with suitable exterior paint.
You can decide to print ‘WELCOME’ from your computer, use a stencil, or paint the characters freehand (for confident artists only!) If you prefer to print the letters, use an attractive font like Lucinda in a word processor. Then print one letter per sheet and trim them out. If you have a thin electric cutting blade, you can even chop the characters from wood.
Once you have the characters, stick them on the board using wood glue. For better results, epoxies are the perfect choice of adhesive. Be sure to consider exposure to rain and sun when making the sign. In addition to the welcome sign, you can also build an address plaque for your home.
- Inspiring Quotes on Wooden Boards
If you’re looking for decorating tips for your living room, you might consider writing inspiring quotes for you and your guests. Below are the steps to follow:
- Obtain a wooden board and apply paint or stain to it
- Print the quote using large fonts on different sheets for each word or letter
- If your wooden board is dark, use white tint to paint the back of each printed sheet. If the board has a lighter color, use dark paint or a pencil
- Place the sheets on the wooden board as you’d want the characters to appear
- Use cellophane tape to attach the sheets to the board to avoid displacing them
- Use a sharp pen to trace each character on the sheet. As you press the pen on the paper, the painting at the back of the sheet will deposit on the board, making it easy to see
- Remove the sheets from the board. Then follow the tracing to fill in the letters
- Paint the characters and add designs around your wordings, such as flowers if you like
- Once complete, let it dry and hang it on the wall!
Instead of printing the characters yourself, you can decide to use a stencil. This alternative can be costly, but it can give you better results. Other than writing text, you can also draw, attach shapes, or transfer images to wood for your living room decoration.
Making wood decorations for your home can be fun and productive, and breathe new life into an old material. You can even make it a family activity. If you buy wooden boards, you can have them cut to the size you want. But if you use old wood, you can improve its appearance by polishing and painting.
Best of all, making your home décor allows you to tailor it to your liking. It can motivate you to be creative and make your home more suitable for you and your family!