So you’re thinking wedding bells and looking at rings. Proposing can be a daunting task, and when it’s coupled with the fear that your significant other just might say no, it’s no wonder many do it with knees shaking and palms sweating.
While we can’t do anything to allay your fears of rejection (which is really part of the process and almost a rite of passage that shouldn’t be denied), what we can do is offer some creative, fun ways to ask your significant other to spend the rest of their life with little ‘ole you. After all, this is an event you’ll both remember for the rest of your lives. It should be a given that the actual asking be as unique and fun as the person you love.
So lets get into it. Whether you want ultimate romance or spontaneous and fun, there are millions of ways to pop the question. Finding one that fits your mood and personality is the first step.
A warning must be inserted here before we go any further. If you’re wanting a very public proposal, an “all eyes on the two of you” event, be sure you know what the answer is going to be when you ask The Question. If you don’t, you have a 50% chance of being pitied by thousands, and that is not a good feeling. So, if you want publicity, feel out your significant other first and find out how they feel about taking the next step. Weeks or months later you can surprise them with the ultimate proposal.
Ok, so let’s get started. We’ll mix in the fun with the romantic to give everyone a nice mix to choose from. Good luck!
- Recreate your first date together. Go the restaurant or movie you guys saw together, and propose at the end.
- If you guys are sports fans, arrange in advance to have your question put up on the big screen at the event. This is “publicity proposal” we were talking about earlier!
- Set up a “secret admirer” day. Pick a day to send anonymous flowers and gifts to your significant other’s work. At the end of the day, pick them up in a limo, have flowers and Champaign ready, and propose at a top-notch restaurant.
- Plan a weekend Mystery Trip. Handle all the details, and don’t tell them where you’re going. Let them know what they need to pack, but that’s it. If they love the beach, head to Florida or Hawaii. If they love the mountains, Montana or Tennessee will do the trick. Vegas is also a great place to propose. Getting a room at the Bellagio or Wynn Las Vegas is just about as romantic as you can get, and you can propose and get married the same weekend if you’d like!
- If you guys have been thinking about getting a new puppy or kitten, you can surprise your S.O. by picking one out and tying the ring or message to their collar and letting them loose in the house. Before you do this, however, make you sure they really want a pet and will take care of it!
- At a restaurant, either your favorite or a 5 Star, arrange beforehand to have the waiter bring out a piece of cake with the ring on top at the end of the meal.
- If you happen to know how to build web pages, create one about the two of you, with pictures and text on your life together. Tell them how much they mean to you, and then ask the question at the bottom of the page. Send them the link, and wait for a reply.
- Get up really early and make them breakfast in bed. And we mean The Works. Omlettes, fresh juice, hash browns. Make it yummy and special. You can also throw in some special touches like flowers, a new robe, or some slippers. At the end of the meal, pop the question.
- Create a treasure hunt. Leave them clues all around the house, and riddles to follow. When they figure it out, you can be standing at the end with a ring.
- One night sneak into their car and fill it to the brim with inflated balloons. Tape a safety pin to the window of the door. Inside each balloon slip in a small note with one reason why you love them. If they want to get to work, they’re going to have to pop the balloons to get into their car, and they won’t be able to resist reading those little notes. At the back of the car place the balloon with your question in it.
- If money isn’t much of an issue, consider doing something really spectacular like taking a train ride on the Orient Express. The cars are magnificently appointed and it’ll be an experience you’ll both remember forever.
Make a complete day of your proposal. Tell them to take the day off work, that this “date” is lasting the whole day. Plan everything. Make them breakfast in bed, and then clean up completely. Don’t let them do the dishes! Have little gifts hidden in places where they’ll be found, and get creative in planning something to do. Get some flowers delivered when you have to “step out” for a minute. If you really want to impress, give the day to her. Set up appointments for facials and pedicures, and drop off a brand new dress you bought for her to wear to dinner that night. Have a limousine pick her up at the spa to take her to a chic restaurant, and propose over dessert.
Remember, this is in no way a complete list. You’re limited only by your imagination! Put in some serious thought as to what your significant other would love. Make it sincere and it will be an experience neither of you will forget.