Mould is a type of fungus that grows in environments that contain excess moisture. It is usually caused by damp, condensation, and poor air flow. But you might not be aware that the presence of dust can also help it grow and spread.
ICE Cleaning’s mould specialists can eliminate all the mould in your home, including mould in the air. The professional cleaning company’s mould removal services are available nationwide. In an emergency, ICE Cleaning’s technicians can be on site within several hours.
Read on to learn more about how dust can cause mould growth and how to prevent the fungus growing in your home.
Dust is an important food source for mould
Mould feeds off organic material including wood, paper, some types of fabrics, building materials, dirt, and bacteria. As dust consists of mainly human skin, dust provides mould with an excellent food source, enabling it to grow and spread very quickly.
Mould also plays a critical role in the lifecycle of the dust mite. Fungi converts dust into something that dust mites can consume more readily. The mite then eats the fungus, the fungus survives digestion, the fungus eats more dust, and the fungus is eaten again.
Regular cleaning is key to preventing mould
Eliminating mould’s food sources – namely dust, dirt, and bacteria – can reduce the chances it will grow and slow down its spread. Dusting and using antibacterial cleaning agents, alongside other mould prevention techniques, are very effective ways to help keep your home mould-free.
You should pay special attention to dusting and cleaning the areas where mould is prone to growing such as:
- Windowsills and around windows
- Bathrooms and kitchens
- Near pipes
- Crawl spaces
Other ways to prevent mould in your home
- Use extractor fans in the bathroom and kitchen while cooking and washing
- Regularly ventilate the property to expel humid air and bring in fresh air
- Avoid drying clothes indoors as this can cause humid air to get trapped in your home
- Allow sufficient air low to dislodge pockets of humid air
- Use a dehumidifier to keep humidity levels below 50% all day
- Have leaks fixed by professionals as soon as you first spot them
- Dry out and clean up after floods within 24-48 hours as mould can start growing very soon after flooding
As soon as you spot mould growing in your home, bring in mould experts. Should you attempt to clean it yourself with mould removers, you might not remove all the mould and it could grow back soon after treatment.
Professionals can safely and thoroughly tackle your mould problem. Visit ICE Cleaning’s website to find out more about its mould remediation services and other cleaning services.